Facebook is one of the biggest social media platforms that has actually transformed the social media experience of our generation. Though we already had an online messaging system where we can connect to friends and share our likes and dislikes, we never had such a fast and improved communication system bubbling with posts and an array of media shared from all the corners of the world.
Facebook offers an easy way you can use to connect to your friends and associations. To further break the ice between total strangers, Facebook has allowed people to message a complete stranger from his/her Facebook profile. This feature is helpful to us in ways more than one and almost always these types of connections result in strong bonds between two people.
However, as every feature has its own list of advantages and disadvantages, this feature is not an exception. Here, many Facebook users often complain about getting message requests from too many people who are absolute strangers to them. This is not something that we would like to entertain for a long time. This is why sometimes people get very frustrated with the pouring message requests from strangers on Facebook and want to get rid of it!
All the messages that you get don’t ultimately end up in your Chat list and neither on the Message Requests list.
Who all can send us messages on Facebook? Are you wondering about the same? Then, first, let’s begin with all the people who can send you a message that will directly be received on your chat list.
Who can send you a direct message on Facebook?
- All the friends that you have on Facebook.
- All the people you have on Facebook Marketplace.
- The people who are there on Facebook Dating.
- People from the businesses or the pages you’ve reached out to.
- Also, all the people that are connected with through Facebook job posting or those who are there on Facebook mentorship group.
Now, if you are thinking about all the messages on Message requests, then it’s simple to detect. All the people that you haven’t ever chatted with on Facebook can also send you messages but their messages will be appearing under the option Message Requests. Besides, these people cannot ever call you if you don’t respond to their messages.
How to Stop Getting Message Requests from Strangers on Facebook
In case you want to optimize the people you want to get message requests from on Facebook, then you can do so with some simple steps. You can easily decide whether or not you would like to receive message requests from:
- All the people whom you follow or you have chatted to on Instagram.
- The followers of your Instagram account, regardless of whether you follow them back.
- The friends of your friends on Facebook.
- All the people on Facebook who have your phone number in their phone’s contact list. Here, you need to keep in mind that someone with your phone number does not always need to be an Instagram connection or a Facebook friend to reach you.
- Everyone else on Facebook and Instagram.
You can also choose whether the message requests sent to you will go to your Chats list or the Message Requests folder that is in your settings.
Now, if you also control the message requests and determine where they would send it to. You can do this simply by tweaking the Messenger settings. Here’s how you can do that:
- First, you need to launch the messenger app or visit the website messenger.com.
- Then, you need to click on the cog logo that symbolizes Settings.
- Next, you need to click on Preferences.
- Now, you should go and click on the Message Delivery Settings.
- Here, you will be able to see an Edit option below Potential Connections. You need to click on the same that appears beside the people you want to control message delivery for.
You’ll be getting more options for delivering messages by adding your Instagram and Facebook accounts to your Accounts Center. You can’t go for a group chat because it is disabled now between the two apps.
Easy ways to Optimize your Messages!
Facebook messages can be declared as a private form of communication on the social networking webapp and therefore there are no restrictions regarding the messages. Thus, anyone who has a Facebook account can easily send you a message provided he/she knows your account. This is irrespective of whether or not he/she is on your friend list. However, in case you are receiving way too many unwanted messages from people who are not your friends, then you can simply go ahead and change your privacy settings. This will ensure that you don’t receive any more messages from people who are not your friends.
- First, you need to click on the “Account” link that appears on the top right corner of your Facebook screen.
- Then, you need to click on the option that says “Privacy Preferences” from the menu.
- Now, you need to look under the option “Connecting on Facebook,” which would be inside the privacy settings screen. Click on the blue “View Settings” link.
- You need to click on the light gray icon that you will see on the “Send you messages” group. Here, you need to click on the option that says “Friends Only” from the drop-down menu.
The people who are on your confirmed friends’ list will only be allowed to send you messages. However, if you are looking to stop someone who is there on your present friend list from messaging you, then the only way you can do that is to unfriend her.
How to block someone on your Messenger app
If someone is so annoying that you have decided to block him/her, considering that would be the fitting reply to them, then you need not worry because you can do the same with ease.
- Launch the Messenger app on your phone or tablet.
- Then, you need to go to the Chats option. Here if you are directed straight into the Conversations tab then you better go back and visit Chats.
- Now, you need to visit the Search bar by tapping on it to place your cursor on the bar and then type in the name of a person that you would love to block. If you have recently chatted with that person and his/her messages are already in the Chats, then you can readily visit the particular chat instead.
- If you have typed the name of the person on the Search bar then you will see multiple results for the same.
- Here you would have to choose the right person you want to block.
- Next, you need to tap on the name of the contact that appears on top of your conversation history.
- Now, you have to scroll down and find the Block option and then tap on the same.
Here, you will get two different options, where you can:
- Tap on the option that says Block Messages and Calls if you want to prevent the person from sending you messages or stop them from calling you with the help of the Facebook Messenger app. However, they can still see your messages in group chats and vice-versa.
- Tap on the option that appears as Block on Facebook in case you want to block the user from conversing with you anywhere on Facebook, including the group chats.
- Now, if you don’t want to block a person but rather choose to not see their new messages in your Chats folder, then you have to tap on the back button and choose the option ‘Ignore Messages’ instead. This action will move the conversation to your Message Requests. Henceforth you won’t be getting any notifications even when that person messages you.
We hope the above-mentioned steps would be easy to follow and effective methods to get rid of any message requests from strangers or clothes on Facebook and also block them if need be! So, keep communicating with the person you know on Facebook without hassles and forget about being bothered by the rest! Good luck!