If you have linked your phone number to your Instagram, chances are everyone in your contact can find your profile and stalk you on the platform. That’s because Instagram suggests contact syncing which enables people to find your contact easily. First things first, Instagram does not display your number publicly. You never have to worry about your phone number getting displayed to the public.
While it does not reveal your contact details to anyone, the platform does allow an option for people to find someone on Instagram by phone number.
But what if you don’t want people to find you on Instagram?
Well, you can remove your phone number to avoid people landing on your profile from the “contact suggestion” option.
So, if you are looking for steps to remove your mobile number from Instagram, welcome! You are in the right place.
How to Remove Phone Number from Instagram on App
- Open Instagram on your phone and log in to your account.
- Head to the profile page of your account by clicking on the Profile Icon at the bottom.
- Next, click on the Edit Profile option right below your bio.
- Scroll down and tap on the Personal Information Settings.
- Tap the Phone Number you have linked to your Instagram.
- Erase your phone number from the box to remove it from your account.
- Click on the Next button to save the changes.
- You must also tap the tick mark button on Edit Profile page located on the top right corner to remove your number permanently.
The phone number will be erased from your Instagram database. You will also receive a confirmation email for the same on your registered email address.
How to Remove Phone Number from Instagram on Desktop
Removing a phone number from Instagram is not a big deal. It can be easily done from your mobile app, but if you are having a hard time removing the contact details from the app, you can move on to the website version.
Here’s how you can:
- Open Instagram on desktop and log in to your account.
- Tap on your profile icon at the top and select the Profile.
- Click on the Edit Profile button next to your username.
- Scroll down and you will see the contact number mentioned right below the email address.
- Erase the number and submit the information.
There you go. You will get the confirmation email sent to your email address once your number is successfully removed from your Instagram account.
What if Instagram Doesn’t Remove Phone Number?
Whether you need to have your phone number on your Instagram is totally your choice. But, if you don’t want people to find you on Instagram through contact syncing, you should definitely consider removing the number on Instagram. While it is possible to have your number removed, you are supposed to have your email address linked to your Instagram.
That’s because Instagram needs your personal information to verify your account and confirm you are the owner of the account. It also sends notifications and other updates to your email address.
So, the only case when Instagram might not remove your mobile number from its database is when you don’t have an email address. So, it is important to have your email address linked to your Instagram account so that you can create your ID without having to share your mobile number.
How to Disable Contact Syncing on Instagram
The most common reason why people want to remove their mobile numbers from their Instagram accounts is that they don’t want others to find them on Instagram. The good news is you can follow the steps below to avoid contact syncing on Instagram without manually removing the mobile number.
Here’s how you can do that:
- Open your Instagram and sign in to your account.
- You will see the profile icon on the bottom-right corner of your mobile screen.
- Open your profile and click on the three horizontal lines.
- Click on the Discover People option.
- A pop-up suggesting “connect contacts” will appear on your screen as you click on this button. Select “Not Now”.
- Find the “Connect Contacts” button and turn this button off.
Note that once you have disconnected your contact syncing from Instagram, all your contact details will be removed automatically (including the previously synced contacts).
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do I Get Error Message When Trying to Remove My Mobile Number from Instagram?
Though you shouldn’t have any problem removing contact details from Instagram, you can switch to the web version. There might be temporary glitches on the mobile app, but it should work well on the Instagram website. Try to remove your contact details from the website.
Can People Find me if I have the Number Linked to Instagram?
Yes, your contacts (those who have your number saved on their mobiles) will get a notification when you create an Instagram account. So, all your contacts are going to get an update as soon as you join Instagram. If you don’t want people finding you on Instagram, you can simply disconnect contact syncing.