WhatsApp, a leading messaging platform, is quite popular with over a billion users. The ability to share photos, videos, and texts through this application has made it easy for people to communicate with loved ones from any location. Regardless, like every other social media platform, it’s quite feasible for hackers to acquire access to your WhatsApp account. You don’t even need to be a hacker to access someone’s WhatsApp today, all thanks to the QR code.
QR codes, or Quick Response codes, are 2-dimensional barcodes that contain information about the object it’s attached to. In most cases, these are used for marketing purposes so that when people scan the code with their smartphones, they can be directed to a website where they can learn more about your business and products.
This article will share some detailed insights on finding out if someone’s using your WhatsApp account and what to do next during such instances.
Does Someone Have Access to Your Whatsapp Account?
WhatsApp strives to keep its customers’ information private and safe with features like one-time login and two-factor authentication like many other internet services. Regardless, anything connected to the internet has security flaws that criminals are only too glad to exploit.
Here’s how to check if someone else is using your WhatsApp account:
- If you notice that your friend or a family member has been sending messages to people besides you, they may be using your phone without your permission. Logging into your WhatsApp account and looking at the last person who has contacted you will reveal this. If it doesn’t match up with the previous person who got you, someone else may be using your WhatsApp account without permission.
- You can also see any suspicious logins on your phone, which will help determine if someone else is using your phone. Some features like remote control screen lock and remote wipe will allow you to detect intruders on the system and limit their ability to access sensitive information.
- You should regularly check your contacts for strange entries or spam messages. If you find any peculiar connection or spam message on your contact list, then there are chances that your account might be hacked.
- Browse through recent chats and contacts on WhatsApp and check for unknown numbers or profiles saved in the phone book but not in the contacts list of WhatsApp profiles.
The company behind WhatsApp, Facebook Inc., has a market value of $375 billion, making it one of the world’s five most valuable companies. With so many active users, cybercriminals are always looking for ways to access your WhatsApp account and use it to spread malware or steal personal data. Many of us store personal and professional contacts on our WhatsApp accounts.
In an unlikely event that someone’s hacked into your WhatsApp account, they will have access to all your contacts and other sensitive data.
How to Check if Your Account is Logged In on Another Device?
Even though hackers can hack WhatsApp to a limited extent, during this timeframe, they can monitor when you use WhatsApp, your sleeping patterns, online activities, and more if your phone is compromised. People can access your WhatsApp data through WhatsApp’s web interface or by enrolling your phone number on another device, among other techniques.
Even if you cannot use WhatsApp on two phones simultaneously, hackers can easily access all of your chats, including private ones, if your phone number is registered on another device. Follow the below-mentioned steps to ensure if someone’s hacked into your account or not:
- Go to the three dots in the upper right corner of your WhatsApp window to see if your WhatsApp site is active on an unidentified device.
- On WhatsApp Web, you may get a list of all open sessions. It will display all of the devices associated with your WhatsApp account.
- If you see the message “Could not be authenticated,” it means that an unknown device has accessed your WhatsApp account.
Ways to Secure Your WhatsApp Account Right Away
WhatsApp recently announced that it will now be end-to-end encrypted, which means your messages cannot be read by anyone other than you and the person you are messaging. While this may seem like a minor security feature, it is a huge deal. Encryption is one of the most critical issues in technology today, and it is the tool we need to protect our privacy. Nevertheless, it is vital to secure your account, and here’s how you can do so:
- One of the simplest ways to secure your WhatsApp account is turning on two-step verification. The two-Step verification is an extremely crucial precaution for Android and iPhone devices.
- Frequently changing your password to secure your account is another way to stay unassailable.If you are not sure that someone knows your previous password, change it immediately!
- And finally, remove the account from your device now and then. Depending on the type of phone you have, it may be difficult for someone else to access data from a deleted app if they don’t know its password.