When Instagram was initially launched, all its users were dazzled with the attractive visual content on the platform. They were so consumed with posting content that many of them ignored the other features on the platform, such as DMs or direct messages. However, this changed monumentally over time. Soon, people found a way to share any interesting or relevant reel they saw with their friends over DMs. And hence, the popularity of Instagram grew steadily.
Today, 9 out of 10 Instagrammers have at least one DM waiting to be opened when they check Instagram in the morning.
Are you one of the users who use Instagram DMs extensively? Welcome to the club.
However, have you ever found a message disappearing mysteriously from your DM? What do you think suddenly happened? Could the other person involved in this chat have blocked you? If so, does it mean you will no longer be able to send them DMs? If you block someone on Instagram can they still see DMs you’ve sent them?
Well, we’ve got the answers to all your questions and would be happy to give them to you in this blog.
Stay with us till the end to know more!
If You Block Someone on Instagram, Can They Still See Your Messages?
Yes, after you block someone on Instagram, they can still see your messages. But Instagram also doesn’t restrict you from sending someone DMs even after you’ve blocked them. However, this message will not reach them as you’ve technically severed all links from them. The main reason behind not doing so is the mere concern for users’ privacy.
You can also look at the below screenshot of the Instagram help center:
In order to protect the interest of its users, Instagram never tells a user when they’ve been blocked by another user on the platform. However, if they suddenly prohibit you from texting this person, you’ll naturally find out that they’ve blocked you, right? That’s exactly what Instagram wants: to play no part in telling you that you’ve been blocked.
How to Send Message to Someone Who Blocked You on Instagram
If you’re still interested in sending them a direct message just to see what happens, to vent in a safe space, or for any other reason, here’s how it’s done:
- Open the Instagram app on your smartphone.
- Go to the Explore tab, and on the Search bar located on the top, type the username of the person you’re sure has blocked you.
- Once you find their name in the result list, tap on it to go to their profile.
- When you’re on their profile, you’ll notice that the whole screen is blank, with just their username on the top and three black dots on its right. This is because after being blocked by them, Instagram doesn’t show you anything on their profile.
- Tap on the three dots present at the right side of their username, and you’ll see a scroll-up menu with several actionable options on it. The second-last option on this list is Send Message; tap on it.
- It will take you to your previous chats with this person if you had any. If not, it’ll open a blank chat with a message bar at the bottom of the screen.
- Here, you can type your messages and send those to them just as you’d text any other user. The only difference is, they will neither receive these messages nor reply to them.
Will This Person Receive Messages if They Unblock You in the Future?
Suppose you sent someone multiple messages when you were feeling low but are now afraid of what they might think if they read those. You’re worrying needlessly since none of your messages will reach them anyway; remember you were blocked?
But what about the future? If they ever choose to unblock you, will these old messages go straight to their DM then? That could be a disaster, but it will never happen. Instagram makes sure that all messages sent by you to someone after being blocked will never reach them, even after they unblock you.
So, if you were hoping these people would receive your messages in the future, don’t hold your breath.
If You Block Someone on Instagram Can They See Old Messages?
This is another question that most Instagrammers are always curious about: does blocking someone result in the loss of all of your older messages? Well, no. When someone blocks you, Instagram doesn’t remove any conversation between the two of you from the DMs of both users involved.
What About Group Messages?
Were you and this person ever participants of the same group chat on Instagram? The recent culture of blocking and unblocking people online has led many Instagram users to worry about its impact on group chats.
However, Instagram understands that just because two people don’t talk anymore doesn’t mean they can’t have mutual friends. It is because of this reason that the platform doesn’t let any private action like blocking impact the group messages.
What does it mean for you? It means that if you and this person were in a message group, them blocking you would have no impact on your group messages. Both of you will still be members of those groups, with all your past messages in it intact.