Disable Direct Messages on Instagram: Instagram is among the most popular social media platforms today. Built originally as a photo and video sharing app by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger, Instagram became a distinguished social platform that helps its users to exchange their updates in a jiffy.
Along with an app that you can use to follow your favorite celebrities and scroll through their updates, to visit the stories of your friends and share your photos and videos across your friends and other social media platforms, Instagram is also equipped with the feature of DM or the direct message system. As soon as this feature was launched on Instagram, more and more people started conversing with their friends and sharing their content conveniently through this amazing system. However, not everything is always as pleasant as it seems.
The direct message system from Instagram, though it allows us to chat with our friends and everyone else on Instagram, there are times when it gets on our nerves and we want to end it altogether, at least for the time being. But can you do it?
The answer is Yes, you can disable the direct messages on Instagram if you want. However, if you are wondering about how you can disable these messages on Instagram, then we have the answer. Here, we bring you some methods that you can follow to avoid direct messages.
How to Disable the Direct Messages on Instagram
It is important here to mention that though Instagram is a pretty useful and convenient social media platform, you cannot completely turn off the Direct Message feature. However, if you are thinking that what will be the next step to do it, then we should declare that there are only a couple of workarounds or hacks that you can use to disable this feature of Instagram. So, you can rest assured that if you go through the steps below you will get rid of the direct messages on Instagram and won’t have to bother about them anymore.
You will be getting multiple workarounds here to not receive Direct Messages ever. Check out the best methods here for Android, iOS, and desktops:
1. Toggling your Profile to Private Profile
Remember that as long as your profile is Public, you can get all the messages without discrimination. No one will be needing any approval of yours or of the app to send them. In case you are finding it annoying, then we bring you an excellent fix. This is to make your profile a Private profile.
Now, if you make your profile a Private profile, then only your followers can message you directly along with that you also need to approve their messages. Here’s how you can make your profile Private. However, you need to keep in mind that if you have got a Creator Account, then you cannot make it private.
If you are using an android or iOS device, then you can follow these steps below:
- Open the Instagram app from your device.
- Go to your profile by tapping on the icon for the profile.
- Next, you need to tap on the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines.)
- Then, you need to tap on the Settings option.
- Choose the Privacy option.
- Now, you need to flip the switch that appears next to the Private Account.
For Desktop users
- Launch Instagram from your desktop by visiting their website Instagram.com and log in with your appropriate credentials.
- Now, you need to click your profile icon. This is located in the upper-right corner of the browser.
- Then, select the Settings option.
- Now, you need to go to Privacy and Security that will appear in the left panel.
- Here, under the Account Privacy option that appears toward the top of the screen, you have to check the box that is next to the Private Account option.
2. Opt for Turning Off the Notifications
In case you try the methods and then realize that somehow you cannot disable the direct messages altogether in Instagram, then what you can do is to turn off the notifications. Yes, if the notifications are bothering you, then you can simply turn them off!
For Android and iOS users
- First, you need to tap on your profile icon.
- Next, tap your activity
- Then, you need to go to the Time tab
- After that, you need to select the Notification Settings.
- If you wish to turn off the notifications only for the Direct Messages, then tap Direct Messages, then you can choose to customize the settings for you.
- Alternatively, in case you need to turn off all the notifications, you just need to flip the switch that is next to Pause All.
- This way you can pause the notifications for all of the Instagram features.
For the Desktop users
If you are using a desktop for browsing your Instagram, and you want to turn off the notifications for Instagram, then proceed with these steps:
- Open Instagram and go to your Instagram profile.
- Then, visit the Settings option.
- Here, you need to select the Push Notifications that appear in the panel to the left.
- Next, you need to scroll down to Instagram Direct Requests.
- After that, you need to select Off.
- Here it is important to mention that desktop options are unfortunately limited. Therefore, if you want to customize your profile better, then it is recommended to use your mobile/tablet device.
3. Disable replies to your story
Direct messages can also be sent by replying to someone’s story. This is perhaps an easy way one can shoot direct messages to others in his friend list. In case one needs to reply to one’s story, one simply needs to click the button on the bottom of the story posted. Nevertheless, if it is annoying to you, know that you can disable this feature quite easily.
For Android and IOS users:
- First, you need to tap on your Profile icon.
- Then, you need to visit the Settings.
- Next, you have to select “Privacy.”
- Now, you need to tap on the “Story” option.
- Finally, you need to Press “Off”, which appears at the “Allow Replies and Reactions” section.
4. Declining Messages
If an Instagram user, whom you don’t know, sends you a message, then that direct message would not be dropping in your inbox. Though you will be notified of it (if you haven’t turned this option off) but the message will be directed in the Message Requests tab. In this way, the person cannot see whether you have gone through the message. However, you can either accept or decline such direct messages that appear in the Message Requests tab. In case you proceed with accepting such a message, only then it will be transferred to your inbox. On the other hand, if you choose to reject the message request, then the message will be deleted.
Now, you need to know that you can delete multiple requests at the same time, which is pretty cool about this feature. Now, if you receive a number of these requests, you need to simply tap the option saying Delete All, and you can delete all the requests immediately after that.
Here are the steps to do it now:
- Visit your inbox by tapping/clicking the arrow icon that represents Direct Message.
- Now, select the Message Requests tab (in case you have got no requests at the moment, you won’t be able to see the tab)
- Next, you need to tap or click the option Delete All.