Google has brought a wide range of features and functions throughout the years. Right from when Google emerged as the world’s most famous Search engine, the tech giant began to chalk its road toward success. Slowly but gradually, Google went on to bring one product after another – Gmail, Meet, My Business, Maps, and more, which went on to be part and parcel of our daily lives.
Google Voice is one such application of Google that is almost as useful as all the other applications of Google.
Google Voice is a telephone service that offers call forwarding, voicemail services, text and voice messaging services along with call termination facilities.
However, while using the Google Voice number, one can easily lose track of their account and again go for another Google Voice number, thereby abandoning the old number.
The new number sounds really amazing at some point in time but you might also feel that the old number was the best thing ever for your Google Voice account.
This is the time when people reminisce about their old Google voice numbers and yearn to get them back. However, you don’t really need to worry about when we are here.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to recover Google Voice number. In other words, how to reclaim Google Voice number.
How to Reclaim Google Voice Number (Recover Google Voice Number)
There are 2 things that can happen with your old number:
It might have already been claimed by someone else or It might be on the brink of being removed from the Google Voice servers.
Let’s discuss how to reclaim your Google voice number in both situations.
Possibility 1: Your Google Voice Number Claimed by Someone
If you find that the number you have previously linked with your Google Voice account has been claimed by someone, it means someone else is using that number with another account.
Here’s how you can claim it:
- Go to Google Voice and log in to your account.
- You will get the Settings options at the top right of your screen. You need to click on the same.
- Here you’ll find Linked numbers, click on the option of a New linked number.
- Next, you need to enter the phone number to link.
- In case you want to verify your number, you will be offered a six-digit code from Google Voice’s end.
- If it is a mobile number, then you need to click on the option Send code and Voice will immediately send the code in the form of a text message to the phone.
- Now, if it is a landline number, you need to click the verify by phone link and then click on the Call option. Here, Voice calls the phone number and gives the code.
- Then, you need to enter the code and then click on the Verify option.
- If you find that the number is being used by another account, you will get a message asking if you want to claim it.
- Now, if you want to claim it, then click Claim.
- The number will soon be linked to your account again if everything goes right and according to the process.
Possibility 2: Your Number Reclaimed by Google Voice
Google voice number will be automatically removed from your account if you haven’t used it for a long time. You’ll also see the reclaim date when the number will be removed.
After the reclaim date, you have 45 days to recover Google voice number by searching the number with area code.