Instagram keeps launching new privacy features to increase users’ security and make the app better and safer for users. For example, people now have the option to hide their stories and posts from someone without blocking them. Earlier, if you wanted to get rid of someone, your only option was to block them.
All you could do was remove the user from your Instagram account by unfollowing them. Even if you had to keep the person on your following list, you couldn’t do that if you did not want to show your photos and stories to them.
That, however, is no longer going to be a problem. You don’t have to block the person just because you don’t want them to see your posts and stories.
All you are supposed to do is hide your stories from the target person and they will never know when and what you are posting.
The best part is that the user you are hiding your stories from will not know about it. They don’t get a notification when they get into your hidden viewer’s list and nor is there any option for them to know if you are posting something without allowing them to watch.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to hide someone on Instagram without unfollowing them.
How to Hide Someone on Instagram Without Unfollowing
1. Mute Their Account (Hide Posts and Stories Without Unfollowing)
Instagram launched its mute feature back in 2018 to allow its users to mute the stories and posts from someone from appearing on their feed. The sole purpose of the feature was to help people avoid content they are not interested in.
As mentioned earlier, the feature is great for those who don’t want to see someone’s content but can’t unfollow them either.
When you hit the mute button, you will still be able to see the posts and stories of the user by visiting their profile. You will also receive notifications if they tag you in any post or comment on your post.
In simple words, nothing really changes except that you will not see their stories or posts in your feed anymore. The person will not be notified that you have muted their stories and posts. Besides, you can always unmute their profile anytime you want.
Let’s see how it works:
- Open Instagram on your device and log in to the account.
- Hit the search icon and write the username of the person you’d like to hide without unfollowing them.
- Open their profile and tap on the Following button.
- It will open a pop-up screen with a list of options, tap on the Mute.
- Next, select both Posts and Stories and they will be hidden from your timeline.
The best part of muting someone on Instagram is they will never know that you have muted their account.
2. Mute Their Stories
Muting story is a bit different from the muting account. Mostly, people mute stories because a large number of stories showing up on your feed is not really something everybody would like to watch. Once you have muted the stories, you will no longer get the pink ring-like icon every time the target posts a story.
Although you can still watch their stories from their profile. The steps for muting someone’s stories are similar to that of muting the posts.
Here’s how you can:
- Open Instagram on your Android or iPhone device and log in to your account.
- Inside the Stories section at the top of your feed, swipe the ring-like icons to locate the profile of the target. You can also search for their account from the search bar.
- Play the story and click on the three lines icon on at the top right corner of the screen.
- Here you will find two options: Repoty and Muted. Simply tap on the “Mute”.
There you go! The stories will be muted from your profile. They will no longer show up in your feed. It is the safest way to get rid of someone’s posts and stories from your Instagram feed without actually unfollowing them.