- 1 1. India’s First Republic Day
- 2 2. A 31 Gun Salute
- 3 3. People Waiting to See Pared
- 4 4. Parade Near Old Fort
- 5 5. Guard of Honour
- 6 6. Driving in State Carriage
- 7 7. Queen Elizabeth Attending Event
- 8 8. Dr Rajendra Prasad’s Public Speech
- 9 9. C Rajagopalachari’s Public Speech
- 10 10. Irwin Stadium
- 11 11. President Leaving Irwin Stadium
1. India’s First Republic Day
Dr. Rajendra Prasad, India’s first president, taking the salute at Government House, attended by ADCs and his Military Secretary.
2. A 31 Gun Salute
A 31-gun salute welcomed Dr. Rajendra Prasad to India’s first-ever Republic Day celebrations at the Irwin Stadium in Delhi and declared Dr. Rajendra Prasad as the President on January 26, 1950, at 10:30 am.
3. People Waiting to See Pared
3. The Republic Day pared was marched from Irwin Stadium (now Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium) to Red Fort with the president taking the salute.
4. Parade Near Old Fort
The first Republic Day only saw a military parade in the backdrop of the Purana Qila at the Irwin Stadium.
5. Guard of Honour
The President inspecting the Armed Forces at Irwin Stadium.
6. Driving in State Carriage
The new President took a slow, ceremonial ride from Rashtrapati Bhavan to the amphitheater, New Delhi, in 1950.
7. Queen Elizabeth Attending Event
President with the Guest of Honor, Queen Elizabeth II attending the 1961 event.
8. Dr Rajendra Prasad’s Public Speech
The first chief guest, President Sukarno and his wife can be seen sitting next to India’s first prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru and President is seen addressing a gathering.
9. C Rajagopalachari’s Public Speech
C Rajagopalachari declaring India a sovereign democratic republic at 10:18 am.
10. Irwin Stadium
Security personnel on the roof of the Irwin Stadium during the parade.
11. President Leaving Irwin Stadium
Dr. Rajendra Prasad on his way back to Rashtrapati Bhavan after the celebration was over.