How many times have you deleted the call log from your Android phone? You might not have a clear record for answering that, but it’s not this question that needs an answer. Deleting call history is normal and we all do that on our Android phones to reduce visual clutter or to save space. However, there might arise situations when you need to retrieve the deleted call logs on your Android device.
Imagine this; you have received an important phone call and you need to call back, but you have accidentally deleted the call log from your Android call history and now you are not being able to make that important call. Situations like this are not purely imaginative and many people have to face this scenario at least once in their life. However, you can easily avoid falling into these types of inconvenient and troubling situations if you know how to recover deleted call history on Android, and that is exactly what we are going to discuss here.
Why You May Lose Call History on Android
Before we move into how you can recover deleted call history, it’s important that we clearly know how call history can be lost, so that we may prevent it in the first place. Following are the most common situations in which you may lose call history on your Android phone.
- You may have restored your Android phone to its Default Factory Settings, in which case, the call log will get deleted.
- The call history on your Android phone might also get deleted accidentally or intentionally.
- A virus attack is another reason that might corrupt all user data including call log and therefore, you can’t access it.
- Updating your Android phone OS is another situation where your call history might get deleted if you do not take a backup.
These are the most common situations when you can lose call log history on your Android phone. To prevent your call history to get deleted in the first place, a good place to start will be to avoid these situations or take a proper backup from where you can retrieve it.
However, we understand that it’s not always possible to prevent this from happening, and it’s very common that you delete a call log intentionally and now you need to call that number. Don’t worry, we are here to help, and no matter what the reason is behind the call history getting deleted, you can easily recover it.
Is it Possible to Recover Deleted Call History?
If you have backed up your call history then you can always get it back from the backup. However, if you haven’t, then you might need to use specialized Android Data Recovery Software.
Whenever a log is deleted from a phone, the Android software marks that space as free space which is available for new data storage. When you use your phone after deleting something, new logs or files can use that space and it gets overwritten with the new data. Hence, it is recommended that you stop using your Android phone or add any new data to it to avoid the space getting overwritten. Instead, you should use a Data Recovery Software for Android devices to get back your call log history.
Now, let’s get into how to use software to recover deleted call history from your Android device.
How to Recover Deleted Call History on Android
1. Recover Lost or Deleted Call Logs from Android (Dr. Fone Method)
One of the best software to use to get back deleted call history on AN Android Device is Dr. Fone. This is a great data recovery tool that allows users to retrieve call history on any version of Android and works well for all major Android phones and models such as Samsung, LG, Sony, Google Nexus, and many more.
You can also use this software to retrieve more than just call history. Other data such as photos, text messages, videos, contact details, WhatsApp chat data, etc.
The best part is that this software is free and thus you’ll have to spend nothing to retrieve call history on your Android device.
This powerful Android data recovery software can retrieve deleted call logs from internal phone memory, SIM card, and even an external SD card. Thus, it’s one of the best tools available to recover lost or deleted data on your Android device.
Now, let’s find out how to use this tool.
Steps to Retrieve Lost or Deleted Call Logs from Android:
Let’s see how you can use the Dr. Fone Android data recovery tool to retrieve deleted call logs from your Android phone.
- First, launch the Dr. Fone software on your computer and choose Data Recovery from the options shown.
- Now, make sure to enable USB debugging on your Android device and then connect the device to your computer using a USB cable.
- When your phone gets connected, the Dr. Fone software will show the types of files or data it supports. Every type of data that the software supports will be checked by default and you’ll just need to choose the data type you want to recover. For recovering call history, just check the box beside Call History.
- If your device is rooted, the software will show two options: Scan for deleted files and Scan for all files. You can choose Scan for all files for a more comprehensive and thorough check, but remember it will take longer.
- Now, click on the Next button at the bottom of the software window to let the recovery program examine and scan your phone for lost data. This entire process will take some time, so you can sit back or do any work needed and let the software run.
- After the scan completes, you will be able to preview the recovered data one by one. Check the items you need and then click on Recover to save them on your computer.
2. Contact Your Mobile Service Provider
If the above process does not work and you fail to recover deleted call history from your Android phone, you can contact your phone service provider to get back lost call records. Your phone service provider keeps records of dialed, missed or received calls. So, you can contact them to get back what you have lost.
You can always make a direct call to your phone service provider for help. Or, you can simply log into your phone account and then go to My Billing > View Bill > View Call Details. Now, you should be able to see a complete list of received and dialed calls with date and time, and you can recover the call log you are looking for.
However, different mobile service providers store the call logs for different lengths of time, and there is no guarantee that you’ll get what you are looking for if your call log is quite old.
3. Retrieve Deleted Call History from Android (Only for Rooted Device)
You can also use specialized recovery apps to retrieve deleted call history from your Android device. One such app is the Undeleter app that is free to use but only works for a rooted Android device. If you want to use this app, you’ll have to root your Android phone first.
Follow these steps to recover deleted call logs from Android phones using the Undeleter app.
- Open the Google Play Store app, search for the Undeleter app, and then download and install it.
- Open the app and tap on Next to continue.
- A screen will appear asking for root permissions. Tap on the Next button to grant the required permissions.
- Now, the Undeleter app will test for root access. Tap on the Next button to continue.
- Next, select the specific category and then the device to get back all call logs.
- Now, choose Journal Scan and the app will start scanning all your lost data and switch to the Restore tab to see the restoration process.
- Now, all you need to do is wait and follow the instructions appearing on your mobile phone screen and you should be able to view the deleted call history.