WhatsApp, the famous messaging app owned by Facebook, has implemented a new feature that allows users to delete messages within an hour of sending them. Messages in individual and group conversations can be removed, and the feature is available on Android, iOS, and Windows platforms. The Whatsapp unsend messages feature has some drawbacks, such as recipients learning that you erased a message as “This message was deleted” is displayed instead of the deleted message.
The feature is quite useful for retrieving a message if you have made a spelling error or accidentally sent the message. However, there are a handful of workarounds that may be utilized to view deleted WhatsApp messages.
How to Read Deleted Whatsapp Messages
1. Read Deleted Messages from Backup
If you mistakenly erased a chat and wish to retrieve it, you can do so using WhatsApp Chat backup, which happens every night at 2 a.m. by default. You can set the backup frequency to daily, weekly, or monthly. However, selecting daily as your preferred backup frequency is advised because you will be able to restore chats before the next backup at 2 a.m.
- If you have an Android smartphone, uninstall WhatsApp and reinstall it from the Google Play Store.
- Accept the Terms and Conditions and go to the following step, where you will enter your mobile number and country code.
- You’ll be given the option of restoring your chats from a backup. Your WhatsApp chats will be restored if you select the restore option.
2. Read deleted messages using Third-Party Apps
Third-party apps can be used to read deleted WhatsApp communications. Many applications are available on the Google Play Store that allows you to recover WhatsApp messages that have been deleted by you or the sender. These apps keep track of your notifications, which are saved in the Android system’s Notification register. You may read deleted WhatsApp messages using a popular app called “WhatsRemoved+.”
The app is only available for Android users and not for iOS users, with over 5 million downloads. This tool to read deleted WhatsApp chats also contains adverts, which you can remove by purchasing the app’s premium subscription.
Here’s how you can:
- Install the app by downloading it from the Google Play Store.
- Accept the terms and conditions as displayed on the screen and provide notification access.
- To read deleted messages, choose WhatsApp from the list of apps.
- You’ll now receive a notification from the app anytime someone deletes a message sent to you.
- To read a deleted WhatsApp message, open the notification and select the “DETECTED” tab from the drop-down menu.
- You can read the deleted communication from there, even if the sender has erased it.
There are a few additional programs you may use to read deleted WhatsApp messages besides WhatsRemoved+. However, you should be aware that granting a third-party app access to your smartphone’s notification system poses a significant security risk. Additionally, once your smartphone has been restarted, the notification log is erased from the Android system, making it hard to retrieve messages even when using third-party apps.